Wednesday 12 December 2007

Shafty Shaft Shaft

Continuing with my series of Things People Don't Really Give A Shit About (With Pictures) I present to you the current status of Operation Driveshaft.

Well here's the end that goes into the front differential. It looks worse than it is, most of that gunk is just grease and dirt stuck in the grease. You can see the universal joint clearly (that's the piece that's a cross which has two bearing caps in the yoke, and two free). On the top you can see the restraining clip (in the depression in the yoke) which we will talk about later.


This is the other end. It's technically called a double cardan joint, although you may see it referred to as a CV (Constant Velocity) joint. It has two universal joints, and a centering ball. This end is attached to the transfer case.


Here's one of the old u-joints that we removed. As you can see, I didn't do a great job of getting everything off without the needle bearings going everywhere - good thing I'm not using them again.
Actually they didn't look in too bad shape... never mind, can't hurt to replace them.


I took the next two photos after cleaning the assembly, to remind me how it all goes back together. Didn't stop me from assembling it back to front though. Grr....


Here's a shot of the disassembled joint. You can see the centering socket in the middle, and my trusty can of PB Blaster. Don't leave home without it.

This is the centering ball. Irritatingly this was a non-repairable centering ball/socket assembly. Thanks, Jeep.

Well all seems good right? WRONG! Despite the stoic assistance of Madame Katherine, we cannot get the last two restraining clips back in. Today I will pull it all apart again and pray that one of the needle bearings hasn't fallen into the top of the bearing cap. ARGH!

Let me assure you that given a proper workshop I feel capable of doing every single job I've attempted in the snow in about 1/10th of the time. For future reference, a picnic bench is NOT my recommended work surface.

Tonight I'm attempting to make Char Sui on the Weber. Am a bit nervous about this, there are big expectations to live up to - those of you who have had the privilege to eat at Château Clark in Sandringham know what I mean.

Until later,

Señor Grease Monkey

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Double Cardan joint is not a CV joint...there's no Constant Velocity going on here..this is cheap ass american engineering at it's best! ;)