Sunday 23 December 2007

Pork, Work

So nothing too exciting for me to report snow-wise.

After my terrible effort on the morn of Kat's Alpine Adventure™, the two old ladies of the RV park (myself an Elke) had a quiet day on the slopes on Friday.

Our neighbour Andrew had been off talking to some photographer guy who shot one the snowmobile tours here in Whistler. Apparently he was keen for me to come down as well, so today I headed down there for a full day of shooting families on snowmobile expeditions, and riding around at high speed.

It was kind of weird working again, I feel a bit reserved about it - we shall see how it pans out.
Money will be helpful however.

Today I started work on Christmas dinner. I am preparing the pork as outlined in this recipe.

Here's a few of the ingredients to the left.

There are a few things that are new for me in this recipe.

Firstly I've never soaked any meat in brine before roasting it. Apparently it adds moisture to the meat and stops it from drying out during the cooking process. Coupled with the fact that this particular piece of meat is going to be roasted on the Weber, I hope it will be pretty special.


Secondly - mace. You can see it in the square container to the right. Until I read that recipe I had never heard of it.

On the off chance that you don't, it's the covering of the nutmeg seed. It smells like nutmeg to me, but more delicate....

When it's not ground (like I have) it's called a "blade" of mace. Very good.

So here's the brine mixture cooking up on the stove.

Apologies for the shitty picture, I can't be bothered spending 30 minutes getting it right tonight :)

Next up is the succulent piece of pork that will be sitting in the fridge for the next few days.

Technically it could probably sit outside, but I'm not sure whether it would be a good idea for a piece of pork to be outside, tempting the bears.

Anyway, it's in the fridge now.... I'll take a picture of it just before cooking.

I was interested to read this article in The Age - see I TOLD you
Bradley Murdoch was innocent!!

Off to work again tomorrow. Phew. Bedtime.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Monday, 24th December.

Me vs THe Killer Hangover

After a good week of not drinking we had the Barrett Crt Christmas party last night. After 2 bottles of bubbly and 3 quarters of a bottle of Mandarin vodka, i now have very little blood in my alcohol.

Typing is shooting pains up my spine and into my brain...

I shall leave another not tomorrow wishing you both a merry christmas and hopefully feeling a little more human.

meh