Saturday 1 March 2008

Sick, Westin, Dinner

Farkin' hell I'm sick of being sick. Last night we checked into the Westin for our free night.

It was so nice to be somewhere a bit luxurious for a change.
Pity I was sick as a dog, and coughing and hacking up my guts the entire night.

We had a voucher for $100 off dinner at the Aubergine Grill, which is the Westin's restaurant here in Whistler. It was pretty nice.

Champagne: Roederer Brut Premier NV - ahh champagne, how I have missed you.

Amuse bouche (apparently this is what a pre-starter is called, and yes it sounds super-fancy eh?): Lamb Rib Chop served with Espresso Sauce - Not bad, I wasn't sure about the coffee and lamb combination at first, but ... turned out to be pretty nice.

Entrees (did you know that for some perculiar reason in the USA/Canada that they call a main an entree, and an entree a starter. Weird.): Kat had goats cheese croquettes, I had a fois gras terrine. Not too bad.

Main: I had a 10oz New York strip, cooked rare, and served on a bed of smashed potatoes and some vegetables. The potatoes were excellent, and the asparagus not too bad either. The only thing that let this course down was the slightly soggy broccoli. The steak itself was a beautiful piece of meat.

Kat had a pork rack served on a bed of creamy polenta. This dish was also excellent.

Desert: I had a selection of BC cheeses. Kat had a warm pecan gateau. The cheeses were so-so. A brie, some soft goats cheese, and a mild blue. The goats cheese was served with marmalade - an odd, but excellent combination. Other than that, a bit disappointing. Allegedly the gateau was not that great either.

We partnered this with a trio of ice wines. By this time Kat had a splitting headache, so I was forced to pitch in for the team and drink some of her wines. Such a shame.

After dinner we retired. I'm not sure I remember the journey back to the room. Kat had to venture out for some painkillers for the head. I proceeded to cough and splutter my way through the rest of the night. Yuk.

We checked out this morning, had some breakfast, and caught the bus back to the RV. Ahh hilarious. It appears that the parts for the Jeep have arrived and are at the post office. Rockin.

It's pissing down with rain here, and it's forecast for 15cm of snow this afternoon, and 15cm overnight. I'm gettin' up early tomorrow, no matter what!! I foresee an early night tonight. Meh.

No comments: