Saturday 28 June 2008

Salt Lake City, Lava Hot Springs, Arrival @ Tetonia

It just never fuckin’ ends. Today David offered us $1500 for the Turd. We told him that in the interest of good faith we would accept it ONLY if he would come and pick it up. We shall see what happens.

To top it all off, when I got the ribs out the other day they smelt a bit funny, and then when I got em’ out of the fridge to cook, they were smellin’ real stinky like they were off. So I chucked them out as well.

ARGH!!!!

Anyway. Just a quick wrap up (or rap up as I have seen it spelt before) of the last few days.

Mormonia
Ahh Salt Lake City. What can I say. The
KOA was pretty nice, albeit expensive. We cruised into the famous Temple Square, home to all kinds of god-fearing activity.

KAT-1629

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints must have plenty of money, as they can afford to build some ripping buildings.

KAT-1630

I must also admit that we departed quite quickly – I wasn’t comfortable with the evangelistic gleam that seemed present in the eyes of those Mormons who were hanging around, and there were plenty of ‘em.

It was oppressively hot in SLC. You’d have thought that someone could have asked God to turn the heat down a bit, but I guess not.

We went and saw the new Indiana Jones movie, which was rather good – ridiculous in parts, but I supposed that’s the point. George Lucas really needs to get over his love of animated cute creatures though. If you see the movie, you will understand what I mean.

More importantly was the fact that it was the first time we had been in an ALL DIGITAL theatre. I was blown away by the quality of the picture and sound. Apparently it was a DLP projector, and I can honestly say I’ve never seen a picture so clear and crisp.

Stinking Jeep
The next day the Jeep was making a (new) weird squeaking noise. I replaced the Idler Pulley (which had been squeaking before) but to no avail. I thought it might be the water pump. We decided to take it down to the mechanic. A few hours later they rang back, said it could be the pump or the alternator, but not to worry about it, and just come and pick the Jeep up for no charge.

To say I was surprised is an understatement. We bought them some beer. I dare you to find a mechanic in Melbourne who would do that for you.

Another day down the toilet. So at Wix’s behest we went to Carls Jr.

KAT-1636

I had the famous guacamole burger – and it was ok. Perhaps it was just my mood, but I don’t think I’d go out of my way to have it again. If I was presented with the choice of BK/McD/Carls Jr. I would choose Carls I guess. Oh well. Fatty Fat Fat!

Hill AFB
The next day we woke up and decided not to drive. So we took a little trip out to the Hill AFB Museum.

KAT-1689

As you may or may not know, as a kid I was rather into building models of planes, and in true nerd fashion I know quite a lot about them. There was lots of personal items from old pilots on display as well, aside from the vast collection of planes which made it quite interesting.

I’m rather hoping that GE are a little better at making ECM devices than they are at Consumer Finance….

KAT-1659

It was fascinating to see household names like Texas Instruments(I thought they made calculators?!) on … well instruments of Death.

KAT-1657

It was fascinating to see how old school the technology was. Forget computers kiddies, we got WIRES and GUAGES and WEIRD THINGS THAT I DON’T RECOGNISE.

KAT-1653

I was most excited about seeing the famous SR-71 “Blackbird” up close and personal.

KAT-1668

OK this isn’t a very good picture, but Kat blames her camera. Pthht. Only a poor workwoman blames her tools I say!

This is a much cooler picture.

If you’re not in the know (read: a nerd) here’s a few facts about the SR-71…..

  • From 24km up it could survey nearly 260,000 km^2 per hour.
  • From this altitude it could take a (readable) picture of a car's license plate.
  • It STILL holds both the sustained altitude (nearly 26km) and speed (just over 3600km/h) records.
  • To put it in perspective, in 1976 (when I was born) it flew from NY to London in 1 hour 54 minutes and 56.4 seconds.

Truly a feat of engineering. Just think, it first flew in 1964..... makes a bit teary eyed really.

Moving along.

Lava Hot Springs
In between SLC and Tetonia we decided to stop at the
Lava Hot Springs for a bit of relaxation. I can assure you the springs were hot, and relaxing, and I was glad we paused.

On the way though something was on fire. Dunno what it was, but I'm sure it was 'spensive.

KAT-1694

Today we had a short drive to Tetonia. It was uneventful, which is good. The campground here is pretty nice, and we have a great view of the mountains, which are bloody huge.

KAT-1696

Tomorrow we'll go to the Grant Teton National Park and check it out. Got 6 nights here, then onto Yellowstone, then.... well... dunno!

No comments: