Tuesday 29 April 2008

Bellingham to Bellevue. Downtown Seattle.

Sunday - Bellingham to Bellevue
I swear we always intend to get up early and arrive at our next destination with loads of time and motivation to go and do stuff.

But once we're out of bed, the endless messing around begins. Someone takes forever to do her make-up as well. No idea why it's necessary when you're driving a giant brown turd, but hey, who am I to question the mysterious workings of the Lord.

Our trip from Bellingham to Bellevue was more-or-less uneventful. There was a slight navigational glitch (that is, someone wasn't paying attention to where we were going) and we ended up driving down these tiny, steep back-streets. I wasn't super-keen on towing the Jeep around, so we unhitched for safety.

The turd is surprisingly nimble when it's not towing another ton and a half. Not exactly a drag racer, but it's noticeably quicker and more manoeuvrable.

The RV park we're staying at is a bit more trashy than we're used to. There's obviously a fair few long-term stayers here, due to its close proximity to Seattle. It's pretty pricey for a US facility too. Oh well, at least it's close.

We arrived feeling fairly unmotivated I think. Could have been the amount of Corona we drank the night before I suppose, but I doubt it.

So I cooked corned beef. It was nice, but I wasn't happy with my mustard sauce.
Kat's previous effort was far superior. I lose.

Monday - Downtown Seattle
When we arose (early) this morning for our full day of sightseeing, it was raining.

I was a bit despondent at this, but by around 09:30 it had stopped, and the regional radar looked like it was going to be clear for the rest of the day.

Here's a concept for you - Park and Ride. Why the fuck don't we have this? We drove up the road to a freaking huge multi-story parking lot, and jumped on the bus and headed downtown.

This has a few advantages that I can see.

1. You need less stops, so your freaking bus ride doesn't take so long.
2. People are more likely to catch the bus when they only have to walk 50m to the stop, rather than 10 miles uphill both ways.
3. More people on bus equals less congestion on road.

Un-freaking-believable, that the AMERICANS could be doing something better than us.

If we DO have this facility and I am in fact talking shit about something I know nothing about, I apologise profusely.

Anyhoo. It was a nice bus ride into town.

I had decided we were going to buy a cheap point-and-shoot camera to carry around everywhere with us, so I didn't bring my camera today. Turns out the camera I had been looking at wasn't so cheap, and I baulked at the idea of spending $300 for some convenience factor bullshit.

So... no pictures. I no bore you with what we did in detail, but we walked ALL OVER downtown Seattle. It seems like a very cool city. The waterfront strip is great, and Pike Place Market (and the surrounding streets) look like they have some excellent gourmet shit for one to purchase.

We returned to the turd around 3pm to rest, and then headed out to get some MALL ACTION.
Man it's been ages since I've been in a mall. Surprisingly this one wasn't offensive at all.

Actually we were there for a reason, not just for hanging out (we're looking for new hiking shoes).

There was a distinct lack of rugged-outdoorsmen shops which was disappointing. Frankly their sport shoe selection was shite. Accidentally we exited the mall and found an excellent outdoor shop.

Pity they didn't have things in Kat's size.

I however am the proud owner of some new shoes to replace my poor Nike's which fell apart in FL.

Not sure what we're doing tomorrow, but no doubt it will be EQUALLY AS GRIPPING as this episode. Stay tuned, butt cheeks clenched, for tomorrow's heart-pounding roller-coaster ride through the malls of the USA.

Oh, by the way - dirty little Chung was online today - go look at his pictures here. They are very nice. He make me annoyed when he take pictures because his little pure-bred Asian eyes must be better than mine.

Good thing he's too lazy to post many of them.

No comments: