Wednesday 14 May 2008

Sunday - Portland to Silver Falls

Portland had been fun, but a bit of a pall had been cast over it by the theft of Kat's bike, so I don't think either of us were too sad to leave the Portland Fairview RV Park.

Sunday night was going to be our first night staying in a public campground, so I was pretty excited and nervous about it - especially as it was supposed to only be 15Amp power.

We took I5 just to be boring (and safe) which added a few miles onto our trip, but I think in the long run probably made it faster, as the small highway that led up to the park for the last 10 miles or so was pretty windy (not as in the wind, as in twists and turns).

I've noticed something funny about American drivers, they don't like to overtake on the wrong side of the wrong (something we're used to with our crappy highways) so by the time we arrived at the campground we had a nice procession of 5-6 cars behind us. Oh well, it's not like they didn't have the opportunity.

The campground is basically just nestled in the state forest, and is pretty darn nice for something that's publicly funded. There's water and power hookups, but no sewerage - which is fine for a few days. The toilets have seen better days, but are still fine, and I didn't check out the showers - I'm too paranoid about tinea :)

We set up and Kat promptly fell asleep. When she woke up a couple of hours later we went and surveyed the surroundings.

How good is this - they even have a "camp host" who lives here, and they sell ice and firewood at certain hours of the day....

I was feeling the need for a beer, so we took a quick drive to Silverton which is the nearest town - apparently this is Christmas tree growing country - there are Christmas trees of all sizes stretching away as far as the eye can see.

Silverton seemed ok for a small town, albeit with a surfeit of flags everywhere. I think we made the check-out guy's day with our Australian ID - he seemed pretty stoked.

When we came home we had the privilege of watching these two old dears trying to reverse park a Winnebago into the space behind us - even my mum would have been able to do it quicker than those guys - it reminded me of that scene from Austin Powers where they're doing a 10000 point turn in the corridor. Ultimately one of the rangers came past to assist. Voila, 1 minute later it was done.

We played some Scrabble - what disturbs me at the moment is I'm basically getting my ass kicked every time - seems like we've discovered Kat's hidden talent. After she had ripped out two seven letter words (each gets 50 bonus points) I gave up.

I lit a campfire, and we had some dinner. What was super cool was you could hear frogs calling. I've never heard the classic "ribbit" going in full song before. Ahh... nature.

Tomorrow I'll try and catch up with the image processing - stay tuned for more Adventures in Nature.

No comments: