Sunday 23 September 2007

Repairo!

Yesterday was a slow day, on account of the rain pissing down....

...so we went looking at stereos. I'm not going to brief you on the exact configuration until it's all installed, however I can tell you now that as a tribute to our old stereo in the HR-V there is at least one Alpine component...

In the late afternoon we tackled an ongoing issue with vacuum - namely the EGR vacuum solenoid, which is annoyingly faulty. I barely have the faintest idea what the EGR does (although I know it stands for exhaust gas recirculation) but having it open all the time makes the car idle like shit.

We plugged the vacuum hoses, disabling the unit - and surprise surprise, the car runs like new. Well perhaps not like new, but she IS nearly 20 years old..

Today we replaced the water pump due to an annoying squeaking noise that was coming from it.
This involves removing the serpentine belt, and the power steering pump. Yay. I have a nice chunk out of my right hand from bashing it against the engine block. Double yay.

After this was completed, we boot the car (yes it's called booting now, instead of starting, because I say so) and watch the temperature rise to near critical levels.... WHAT THE!?!?!?

But it's ok everyone... just a bubble in the system... she now runs 30F cooler, and doesn't stall.

Rock on. Are you tired of car updates yet? Imagine how tired I am..........

No comments: