Tuesday 7 August 2007

Kuala Terengganu and Pulau Redang v2.0

I think I was prepared for another Tawau, and after the debacle that was the Berjaya Incident I'm not sure whether we had high hopes for Kuala Terengganu (or KT as we will now call it).

Surprisingly though, things have turned out to be very pleasant here. We arranged another trip to Pulau Redang (which was much more reasonably priced, and included diving, meals and transfers).

We're staying in an extremely simple room above the travel agent, but it's clean, has airc onditioning, and was MYR38 for the night.

The ATM was easy to find, and didn't eat my card (although one took so long to get to the "please enter PIN" prompt that I was having flashbacks to KL).

The internet cafe had good bandwidth, so as you might have seen I've uploaded the remainder of the Sipadan/Mabul/Mataking pictures that I deem worthy of your esteemed viewing. Nearly 2 hours of internet usage for the two of us was only MYR7, which is good value given I moved a couple of hundred meg up and down.

An interesting thing about Malaysia is the Pepsi Max comes in two different flavours. There is a "plain label" version which tastes like it's watered down, and a "funky label" version that's more similar to the Australian version. Fascinating huh?

Tonight we wandered down to the waterfront and had dinner at a little restaurant. The food was delicious, especially as we hadn't eaten in 10 hours. We tried the ABC, which is a cendol like desert, but a little richer - I'm still struggling with the concept of sweet-corn in sweet dishes. Perhaps it's just me.

While we were there, a massive thunderstorm rolled through. A couple of the lightning strikes were very close, and scared the shit out of us. Rain you say? Yes there was rain. A torrential downpour, sideways. Thankfully it had passed by the time we left.

On the way back to the room, we were treated to the sight of hundreds (if not thousands) of swifts swooping about - I assume hunting insects. Ahh for a tripod.

Nerdy Camera Bit - just realised I had the Adobe Camera Raw plugin resampling the images to a different final resolution compared to the resolution that they wer originally shot in. Allegedly this leads to lower image quality. I apologise.

This morning the journey BACK to Redang was smooth, and the resort, whilst not luxurious, meets our needs for diving, eating, drinking and sleeping. Maybe pictures soon, but another update tomorrow.

Read it up, nerds.

No comments: